Automotive Tips

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Protect Your Tools at Work Sites With Truck Toolboxes

I have been installing cabinets and trim in houses for 13 years now. It all started with a summer job working for my Uncle Ed. I was home from college for summer and was looking to make some extra dough, so my uncle occasionally I worked for my uncle installing trim on new construction. I wasn’t used to the manual labor, but I got used to it real quick. And I found that I loved it. I didn’t like breaking my back, but I did like making my own hours, working at my own pace, and working with my hands. Pretty soon I bought my own tools and truck and started my own business.

Now anyone in this like of work will tell you how important your tools are. They are your livelihood; they put dinner on the table. I’ve heard some horror stories about some guys leaving their tools in their truck beds, going into a house, and coming back to find all of their equipment gone. This would be a nightmare. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on my tools and have grown accustomed to using my specific set. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I when I look at my hammer, I see all the nicks and chips in and it reminds me of all my jobs. Sorry, I don’t want to get all sentimental on you, but I’m just saying a worker’s tools are very important.

I’ve met a lot of people from working at all different sites, and I’ve found that people are always walking in and out of construction sites. Some of them are good guys, but most of them aren’t the nicest fellows to say the least. They would have no problem walking off with your new saw. Anyway, I use some heavy duty lockable toolboxes so my tools aren’t on the back of my mind while I’m working. I’ve heard guys arguing over Delta and Dee Zee brands; but what’s really the difference? I choose one brand for my wheel wells and a different one for massive crossover storage. Rather than listening to a bunch of schmucks, go out and do some research and find the best box that fits your situation. It’s not rocket science.

No comments: