Automotive Tips

Sunday, November 16, 2008

How My Tonneau Cover Saved Me Money At the Pump

Sometimes you need to own a truck. I work at a motorcycle repair shop, so I am often transport large parts or bikes on the back of my truck. I haven’t had any complaints with my Dodge Ram—except at the gas station. This truck eats up fuel faster than Kobayashi eats hot dogs. I mean, it seems like every time I glance down at the fuel gage, the needle is pointing down. I probably got a measly fifteen miles per gallon, which just did not cut it. So I did what most people do when they don’t know an answer, and turned to Google.

I found a lot of informational articles and read up on improving my truck’s gas mileage. I discovered that aerodynamics play a huge role in how many miles per gallon your vehicle gets. And you many not know this, but pick up trucks aren’t exactly built for speed. When driving your pick up, air flows up the hood, over the cab, shoots down into the bed, and then hits the tailgate, creating drag, which is the problem. The more drag, the harder it is for your truck to cut through the air, and hence, requiring more fuel. Don’t worry, I didn’t know any of this either. But I did read a few articles about how companies tested truck aerodynamics. What they found was that tonneau covers can greatly reduce drag, which ultimately translates into fuel efficiency. I don’t know about you, but that sold me. Sure, a tonneau cover can be a few bucks, but in the long run, I am saving money every week at the pump, protecting my truck bed, and creating a secure storage area on my truck. I found that I get over 17 MPG now! That’s three more miles per gallon. Apparently, adding a tonneau cover is the best way to increase fuel efficiency, but you can also make sure your tires are fully inflated and consider purchasing a new air filter.

No comments: